We arrived here in Kalianda, on the island Sumatra, yesterday after a morning of travel via bus, ferry, and motorcycle. This was the second time we've been hurried onto these little motorcycles that are more like mopeds. Mom you might want to go ahead and skip to the next paragraph. As soon as we stepped off the bus at the junction to Kalianda, we're immediately getting yelled at by ten to fifteen guys trying to usher us to their moped. I knew it was coming this time so I was prepared. A few days ago we hopped off of a train to the same scene, but more like 20-30 little dudes, screaming at us jamming motorcyle helmets in our face. I wasn't really sure what was going on. I was pretty sure they wanted to give us a ride on the bikes, but I'm thinking to myself that there is now way in hell I'm fitting on the back of that moped with my backpack on. We can't talk to them at all, except for repeating bis stasioni (bus station) over and over - why can't everyone just speak English - so Kyle and I just look at each other like, whatever. Before we know it we are weaving through traffic, HeartRate 250, trying to get the helmets on without tumbling off the back of these things. I had some genuine fear going on for the first 30 seconds or so, then it was pretty fun. They got us to the bis station.
It's been pouring rain for the past 15 hours straight so not much to do today. We've got most of the rest of our time here on Sumatra planned out though. It seems like this island has a ton to offer and I'm pretty pumped. I can't figure out how to upload pictures to the blog yet, but maybe I'll be able to get it done later on today if it keeps raining.
-Ryan
Are your raincoats functional
ReplyDeleteSounds like a blast already! I want to be there!
ReplyDelete